Nobiscuit

Above average nerdiness

Graphing sync rates on a TP-Link TD-8817 modem using cacti

I get my internet through a TP-Link TD-8817 and I’ve noticed the sync rate vary over time just by checking the web interface from time to time . So that I can track this and perhaps correlate it with something, I’ve written a script in perl with the Expect module, the appropriate templates to graph it in cacti, and put it up on github. Here’s the actual session transcript showing how to get the data:

Trying modem...
Connected to modem
Escape character is '^]'.

Password: **********
Copyright (c) 2001 - 2012 TP-LINK TECHNOLOGIES CO., LTD
TP-LINK> wan adsl c
near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 10313 kbps
near-end fast channel bit rate: 0 kbps
far-end interleaved channel bit rate: 1293 kbps
far-end fast channel bit rate: 0 kbps
TP-LINK> exit
Connection closed by foreign host.

Here’s an example graph from my own connection:

Advertisements

7 responses to “Graphing sync rates on a TP-Link TD-8817 modem using cacti

1. jethrocarr September 16, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Interesting, will be neat to see how much it varies over time – and by how much… Is the sync speed based on polling averages of the line performance over time, or is it varying due to disconnects and reconnects?

• nigelr September 16, 2012 at 9:50 pm

It just seems to slowly sink from about 11000 when first synced so I’m wondering if it’s weather/temperature related. It’s supposed to be adaptive, but I don’t know how it works in process. Could break out the G.992 specs for some late night reading I guess 🙂

2. Arthur January 30, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Hi! I use your script with TP-LINK TD-8817. It works fine. Also I have a ZyXEL P-660 modem with the same cli commands semantic and telnet promt “P-660-series>”. I modified your Perl script with $prompt=”P-660-series>”, but script returns “dir:7 dfr:7 uir:7 ufr:7”.
    Sample telnet session of ZyXEL:
    telnet 192.168.1.25

Entering character mode
    Escape character is ‘^]’.

Password: *********
    Copyright (c) 1994 – 2010 ZyXEL Communications Corp.
    P-660-series> wan adsl c
    near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 0 kbps
    near-end fast channel bit rate: 6144 kbps
    far-end interleaved channel bit rate: 0 kbps
    far-end fast channel bit rate: 983 kbps
    P-660-series> exit
    Connection closed by foreign host

• nigelr January 31, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Hmm, I can’t think of anything that would cause that problem. I would add some debugging/print statements to the perl script to figure out what’s happening, especially in and around the while loop.

3. FrancoisGro March 14, 2013 at 9:57 am

See this awesome script and setup for Cacti: http://www.verboom.net/blog/index.html?single=20120614.0

4. Jason December 31, 2013 at 2:15 am

Would you know how to edit your script for I can get the SNR values from this:

VDSL